Tuesday, August 13, 2013


 Day Two
I woke up around  three am.
So excited to be back in Africa that I couldn’t sleep any longer!
I grabbed my bible and devotion
and made my way into the other room.
Since time wasn’t an issue I got to read one of my favorite books
in the bible, Proverbs.
It was so good just to spent time in the word and get rejuvenated through being reminded of truths that I tend to forget in the craziness of daily life.
Some of my favorite truths . . .

Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
Do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do and he will show you which path to take.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Take hold of my instructions; don’t let them go.
Guard them, for they are the key to life.
Proverbs 4:13

Guard your heart above all else,
For it determines the course of your life.
Proverbs 4:23

Better to live humbly with the poor
Than to share plunder with the proud.
Proverbs 16:19

My child, eat honey, for it is good,
and the honeycomb is sweet to the taste.
In the same way, wisdom is sweet to your soul.
If you find it, you will have a bright future,
and your hopes will not be cut short.
Proverbs 24: 13-14

It crazy how you can be reading something and then that day God gives you opportunities to walk in what he is teaching you.
Some days its hard. Real hard.
To watch what we say.
To choose to live in a way that is good.
That is fruitful.
And full of blessing.
Maybe not right away but eventually.
This morning I read a devotion that talked about praying little prayers before you respond to people.
To learn to bring the Holy Spirit into daily conversations.
For patience, grace and forgiveness.
I’m still working on it and some days are better than others.

So after my devotion time we got to go down and have breakfast!
It was delicious and yet so familiar.
Coffee with fresh milk, cocoa and raw sugar.
Omelets with fresh fruit.
The sky is cloud covered and for the first time
 I’m happy I packed a sweatshirt for the trip!

After breakfast we meet for a small team devotion time and we get on the road to HOREC.
 Jesse and I 
The Team with Thomas 
The drive is bumpy and windy as we arrive at HOREC we drive through these two metal gates and a swarm of children start pouring out of everywhere and running towards us!
After many handshakes and hugs we start to make our way around the orphanage.
I find this small hand in mine.
She walks with me and as she looks up at me with her big brown eyes.
She looks to be maybe four or five. 
She walks with us as we do the tour of the whole area.
A few time the guy doing the tour would say something to her in Swahili and she would look sad let go of my hand and walk back to the area where other kids were.
But the second she could see me again she would sneak back and put her hand in mine.
We went through this routine two or three times.
She made me laugh at her silliness.
Her name is Regina.
She is five and she is a goofball.
Everyday we were there she was with me.
Here is a little glimpse of her . . .









No comments:

Post a Comment